Apple TV 4K Brings HDR & Dolby Vision
It was a big morning for Apple with iPhone X the star of the show but early in the announcement, Apple took the wraps off the newest version of Apple TV with Apple TV 4K.
Of course to access the 4K content you will need a 4K TV and a lot of the features on Apple TV like 4K Netflix you will more than likely be able to access through the Netflix app on your TV but it’s the extra features of Apple TV 4K that really look set to shake things up.
Apple 4K TV will support both HDR10 and Dolby Vision which again is a feature that requires TV support in order to deliver HDR or Dolby Vision content. Beyond that though, Apple iTunes is set to become a major force in 4K content delivery. 4K movies through iTunes will cost the same as HD movies and anyone that currently owns an HD movie that is also available in 4K will have their movie upgraded to 4K for free.
“Bring the magic of the cinema straight to your living room with the new Apple TV 4K,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “Customers will love watching stunning 4K HDR movies from an impressive catalog on iTunes, while also getting automatic upgrades of 4K HDR movies already in their iTunes library and enjoying 4K content on services like Netflix, coming soon.”
4K & HDR
Built on the groundbreaking A10X Fusion chip — the same chip that powers iPad Pro® — the new Apple TV 4K delivers a vivid 4K HDR experience.
– Support for both Dolby Vision and HDR10 ensures users can enjoy incredible-looking movies on any HDR TV.
– Built-in high-performance 4K video scaler makes HD content look better than ever on a 4K TV.
– Always outputting to the highest resolution possible allows viewers to get the most out of their TV, whether it’s an older HDTV or the latest 4K Dolby Vision OLED.
– Automatic detection of a 4K TV’s capabilities optimises setup for the best quality picture.
Apple TV at Home
Apple TV is the perfect addition to any household, with great apps from the App Store® on Apple TV, as well as photos, videos, music and more. If you already own an iPhone® or iPad®, there’s no better choice in the living room than Apple TV.
– Users can share recent photos and videos from iPhone and iPad, including the best Memories, with friends and family on the biggest screen, with iCloud® on Apple TV.
– It’s also simple to send movies, home videos and photos from iPhone or iPad instantly to the TV using AirPlay® from your iOS devices.
– With support for AirPlay 2, coming later this year, Apple TV can control multiple AirPlay 2-compatible speakers as well as your home theatre speakers to create the ultimate home music experience.
– Apple TV goes beyond entertainment to help deliver on Apple’s vision of the smart home. Since Apple TV is always at home, it’s perfectly suited to act as a home hub for all of your HomeKit™ accessories, enabling remote access as well as automated control (e.g., automatically turning on the lights at sunset).
Pricing & Availability
Apple TV 4K starts at RRP NZ$299 inc. GST for 32GB or RRP NZ$339 inc. GST for 64GB, joining Apple TV (4th generation) 32GB at RRP NZ$249 inc. GST, available from apple.com/nz as well as through select Apple Authorised Resellers and carriers (prices may vary). Customers will be able to order both Apple TV 4K models beginning Friday 15 September, with availability beginning Friday 22 September.