Well it’s been teased by Huawei and it’s finally been revealed. The P30 has been let out into the wild and in one fell swoop Huawei have managed to out-zoom the competition and rewrite the rules of what smartphone cameras are capable of.
The devices key features include:
- Professional-grade photography: The Huawei P30 Pro is equipped with a new Leica Quad Camera system, including a 40MP main camera with Huawei SuperSpectrum Sensor, a 20MP ultra-wide angle camera, an 8MP telephoto camera, a Huawei Time-of-Flight (TOF) Camera, along with a 32MP front camera for a new level of selfies.
- Redefining smartphone videography: The Huawei P30 Series offers a new era of studio-grade videography. The SuperSpectrum Sensor enables spectacular low-light video capture so nighttime scenes come out crystal clear.
- Stunning design and colour: The P30 Series design are inspired by nature. The 6.1-inch Huawei P30 and 6.47-inch Huawei P30 Pro are available in Black, Breathing Crystal (light blue gradient) and Aurora (green-blue gradient).
- Ultimate innovation: Both devices offer top-class efficiency due to the Kirin 980 processor, the in-screen fingerprint sensor, the EMUI 9.1 OS and SuperCharge capabilities.
Rewriting the rules of photography
The Huawei P30 Series is set to change people’s expectations of smartphone photography. The P30 Pro is equipped with a new Leica Quad Camera system, including a 40MP main camera with SuperSpectrum Sensor, a 20MP ultra-wide angle camera, an 8MP telephoto camera, a Time-of-Flight (TOF) Camera, along with a 32MP front camera for a new level of selfies.
The 1/1.7-inch SuperSpectrum Sensor looks at light in a new way. The RYYB SuperSpectrum Sensor deviates from the traditional RGBG Bayer filter by replacing the green pixels with superior yellow pixels, yielding a high maximum ISO rating of 204,800 and 409,600 on the Huawei P30 and P30 Pro, respectively.
With this fundamental shift in sensor technology, along with the use of larger pixels, Huawei delivers extraordinary photography and videography experiences across a wide range of scenarios and lighting conditions.
The f/1.8 wide aperture sensor delivers incredible ultra-wide images that capture more of the world you see. Working together with the large RYYB sensor and Huawei AIS + OIS, the Huawei P30 Pro delivers brighter images in any light. Even at night, handheld shots are captured in detail, while the optically stabilized main and telephoto cameras steady the shot.
The SuperZoom Lens unlocks a new level of zoom photography in a sleek device design. SuperZoom supports high fidelity magnification up to 5 times optical zoom, 10 times hybrid zoom and 50 times digital zoom, which it achieves through a periscope design.
Unique to the Huawei P30 Pro is a Time-of-Flight (TOF) Camera that captures depth-of-field information to deliver precisely accurate image segmentation. Precise distance measurement allows for the simulation of multiple levels of bokeh—from a focused background to a creamy, Leica-style blur—highlighting the subject in any scenario.
Huawei AI HDR+ enables the front and rear cameras to combine multiple photos taken in quick succession to optimise overexposed and backlit selfies. Meanwhile, Super Portrait Mode captures even tiny details, down to the hair strands on a subject’s face.
With all these features, the P30 Series delivers the best camera technology available in a smartphone to date.
A smartphone with cinematic videography capabilities
With a rich suite of video features, the P30 Series ushers in a new era of studio-grade videography. The SuperSpectrum Sensor enables spectacular low-light video capture, so night time scenes come out crystal clear. Huawei AIS and OIS now support stabilisation for all video capture settings – including 4K videos at 60fps for the perfect, steady shot every time, while the SuperZoom Lens allows for crisp close-ups.
AI Movie Editor automatically identifies action highlights and gives users the tools to add background music and special effects, such as time-lapse and slow motion, to produce engaging video content for sharing with friends and family.
The industry leading Dual-View mode brings a whole new perspective to videos. In an upcoming update, the Huawei P30 Series devices will let you use two of the rear cameras to record different videos simultaneously. In Dual-View mode, you can capture both an ultra-wide angle clip and a zoom shot – offering a panorama on the right and a close-up on the left of the screen, unleashing new possibilities for capturing scenic videos.
The P30 Series builds on the industry-leading good looks of the P Series. The 6.1-inch Huawei P30 and 6.47-inch Huawei P30 Pro come in classic Black and two new gradient finishes — Breathing Crystal and Aurora, created with a new high-yield inkjet process pioneered by Huawei. The FHD+ (2340×1080) Dewdrop display is uninterrupted by the tiny notch, providing the maximum display area in an aesthetic, symmetrical front view.
World leaders in innovation
Innovation is core to Huawei’s DNA. That tradition continues with the P30 Series. The P30 and P30 Pro are packed with industry-leading new features that set them apart from the competition in power, performance and efficiency:
- The P30 Series offers the ultimate performance with top-class efficiency due to the Kirin 980 processor. The 7nm Kirin 980 with a Dual-NPU supports faster image recognition.
- Underneath the near bezel-less front glass is an In-Screen Fingerprint Sensor for quick and secure identity authentication. The P30 Pro also features the Acoustic Display Technology, introducing an in-screen maglev speaker for high-quality earpiece audio.
- The P Series is shipped with EMUI 9.1, which now introduces an Extendable Read-Only File System (EROFS) that greatly improves the read speed of the storage device. The latest OS also supports Share OneHop for seamless file sharing between Huawei smartphones and PCs.
- 40W SuperCharge and long lasting 4200MhA battery on the P30 Pro, as well as 22.5W and 3650mAh on the P30, means these devices will go for more than a full day of intense work.
- The P Series includes a graphene film cooling system that manages heat efficiently and effectively.
The devices will be available to Kiwi consumers via pre-order from Friday 29th March with devices available in New Zealand stores from Friday 12th April. What’s crazy about all of that is that the price is going to be $1,099 for the P30 and $1,499 for the P30 Pro, that is exceptional value for devices featuring some of the best tech out there.